|3/4 Cup Cornmeal
||1 1/4 Cup Milk
|1 Cup Flour
||3 tsp. Baking Powder
|1 tsp Salt
||1/3 Cup White Sugar
|1 Egg (beaten)
||1/4 Cup Melted Shortening
- Mix cornmeal and milk and set aside.
- In large bowl mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Stir egg and shortening into cornmeal and milk mixture.
- Add liquid to dry mixture and stir until blended ( will be slightly lumpy)
- Place mixture into greased 9 inch cake pan and cook at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes ( until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean)
- Great as substitute for bread with egg or soup dishes.
- Split slices and serve with maple syrup for a great dessert.
- Spread with honey or jam and butter for breakfast treat.
- The recipe can be made in muffin cups but have found taste and texture more uniform if cook in a cake pan and unused portion keeps fresher longer than muffins. Cover pan with saran wrap and keep refrigerated.
Back to Flegg Family Recipe Index